As the holidays approach, we all enjoy apartment decorating. A favorite element in many of our displays is the candle. The candle bathes the simplest display in ethereal light, magically transforming plain to chic.
Unfortunately, candles can be extraordinarily dangerous when left unmonitored. The National Candle Association lists nearly 20 safety rules for using candles. Rather than reiterating all of them, we can boil them down to several areas of common sense.
- Never leave a candle unmonitored. Make sure you can always see your candles to ensure that your display is safe. Keep them away from flammable objects such as curtains.
- Consider your pets. Even the most well-behaved animals can grow fascinated with flames and knock over lit candles. Make sure that they cannot access any candle and that they are never alone in a room with a lit candle display.
- Keep candles out of the reach of children. Even when they are old enough to know better, children are often tempted to play with fire.
- Use appropriate candleholders to maintain secure displays and catch wax drips.
- Make sure candles are secure in their holders so that they cannot fall over.
- Remember that heat rises, and do not place any flammable item above the candle.
- Do not fall asleep with candles still burning. Never use a candle as a night light.
- Only burn candles in well-ventilated areas. Recent studies have indicated that some candles produce allergens that can cause health problems.
The goal for each of us should be getting through the holidays safely. Make sure that all of your displays are safe and secure. Marquette communities offer luxury spaces that you will enjoy personalizing with your own designer enhancements. Contact us to arrange a tour of your new home.Back to all posts